Friday, October 31, 2008

A story written by Kaitlyn

My Hero
By: Kaitlyn
One of the biggest heroes in my life is my grandma, Sharon . My grandma, as most grandmas do, has an opinion and I love her for it. She is never afraid to tell you what she is thinking. If she doesn't think the picture should be as high on the wall as it is, she'll tell you where it should be; if the person next to you in the check out line is too loud or obnoxious, she'll tell me later.
Grandma is also amazingly good at riddles, crossword puzzles, and mind bogglers. Whenever I need homework help she is the very first person I call. More than likely, I have been working on this question a long time. When I finish telling her the problem, she has the solution in a minute. Another thing I love about my grandma is that she spoils me. She is one of the only people in my family who will still let me get away with acting like a little kid.
I like to believe that my grandma is one of the most up-to-date grandmothers there are. The reason for this is that before my mom even started wearing carpis, my grandma did. She didn't call them "clam diggers" or "waders"' She knew the more modern term. When she told me this I just smiled, then she said, "What? Isn't that what they are called?" I told her yes, but I didn't know she knew that. Then she smiled at me. I will always remember this.
Another thing she impresses me with is her technology skills. Grandma has an e-mail account, a digital camera, a blog, and even a cell phone! Not one of those "Jitterbug" old people phones, a phone that would be acceptable to my generation.
Something else my grandma does is cook. Trust me on this: You have not tasted great caramel rolls until you have tried hers. She also makes these delicious cookies that taste good warm, frozen, fresh, or old!
The last bit I would like to add about Grandma is that she has beautiful white hair. I hope I'll have white hair like her someday. -Oh yes, and she swears. Not just under her breath when she burns herself, but whenever she is mad at something. Now how many grandmothers do you know that swear?
All of this is what I love about her and why she is is one of my heroes.
Love Kaitlyn
( Kaitlyn and her family had it framed for me and it is now hanging on my wall. What a great thrill to know that you are your granddaughters hero. Of course she is great kid. I love her to pieces!)

5 comments:

KJ said...

That is such a good story! Brings tears to my eyes. Yep, that Kaitlyn is a sweetie pie and she has good taste in heroes. You're as good as they come!
Love you!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I had tears in my eyes too when she read it to me. Of course she was warned by her dad that I would do that. It makes me smile everytime I read it. Love U Kaitlyn

dewitzclan said...

What a special gift to receive. Jed especially liked the swearing bit. :-)

Laurel said...

That was the best story I've read in a LONG time!!! Great job Kaitlyn! (and obviously Grandma, too!)

Anonymous said...

:) thanks. grandma i hadn't checked anyones blog in a long time and then today i was searching my name on google. and it brought up this! i was like hey! this is my grandma's blog!